Tuesday, July 14, 2009

SESENTA PALABRAS!

(wall for future mural)

Escuela Integrada: Yesterday, I conducted my first activity for the kids in Spanish. It was really hilarious. The kids got a real kick out of trying to figure out what the heck I was trying to say, laughing and then repeating back how I should have said it. I learned a bunch of new vocabulary from them! Well, miraculously, with the help of my teacher, I was able to get some ideas across and it went really well! These kids are really quick. Today was the 8th graders. I’ll do this intro activity with 7th, 8th, and 9th, and then do the 2nd activity with each grade later this week. This mural is still being designed, but here’s the basic idea: One of the themes that the teachers in the school wanted the mural to address was the value of each person; how God values each and every person. I’ve got the reIMAGE theme bouncing around in my head for our work at Ayuda next year, so this project will display how we are all created in the image of God and can reflect the Lord to each other. We are each individually essential for this reflection b/c we each have a very unique “face” of the Lord to reflect to others.

Activity #1: The students complete the statement “God is ______.” Then the students are paired up and complete the sentence “My partner is ______.” They fill in the blank with qualities they appreciate about their partner, ways that they may help them, things they admire… We then gather all of the words describing the Lord on one side of the board and the words describing our friends on the other side. As you may expect, there are many similar words. We take time to circle them and comment on how we all have an opportunity to reflect the qualities of the Lord to each other. We discuss Genesis 1:27 and 2 Corinthians 3: 18 and talk about how the more we gaze at the Lord, He will make us more and more like Him. You know... all in Spanish! HA!

As I was walking home, I felt like it was my birthday and I’d received the coolest gift from these kids. When I got home, I looked through the papers of the 17 students in the 8th grade and counted 60 different words to describe the Lord! Many words were repeated among the students, and each time I came across a new word, I was struck, “yes, the Lord is also this…” It was a gift to see the Lord through their eyes and I was reminded how vast, how true, how beautiful, how big, how faithful

Activity #2: Each student will choose two words, one describing the Lord and one describing their partner, and create symbols for each word. Next week, we will make stencils with their symbols and they will create the mural. Or... something like that! I’ll keep you posted!

2 comments:

Diane Harriman said...

Well, we're wondering what the sesenta palabras are! What an amazing way to start the project-how do you come up with this stuff?

Michaelanne said...

i'll work on a list...